Monday, September 25, 2006

Coding Body Parts As Patriotic


So my professor for my Politics of Fashion class clued me into the following link - I want to suggest the site - or at least a reading we could do of the site - is related to the subject matter of our class, but I admit it is pretty crass (rhymes with brass!). Hey, it's about a body part, alright? That's the connection.

The site American Brass Balls sells, well, brass replicas of testicles. But it is how they signify these metal testicles that interests me: "Having American Brass Balls means 'We've Got What It Takes' to: Defeat Terrorism and those who promote it; Defend our Homeland; Show Courage and Determination in the face of adversity."

The sentiment of having "balls" is cliche, but here it has been recoded (and commodified into a disturbingly realistic product) to address the fear of terrorism present in our culture over the past five years. While the site insists that brass balls are for both men and women, it seems to me the site and its shiny products are somehow unable to avoid masculinist associations.

1 Comments:

Blogger c . . . said...

the hyper-masculine homoeroticism implied by a guy carrying around or wearing a pair of (extra?) balls is also a fascinating undercurrent . . . makes me wonder, is there an inherent homoerotic connection in the idea of the (originally male) patriotic/national body?

(p.s. . . should come as no surprise that I would be horrified to 'have' a pair . . .)

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home